Join the "Class of 2021 Scholarships & News" Google Classroom by following this link. We will still be utilizing this website in addition to our Twitter page @LHSCounselors_
Scholarship opportunities for Michigan students - This is a great place to start! This list includes over $2 million in scholarships!
L.H.S. Local Scholarships : You will find all of the applications for the LHS Local Scholarships here in early February. These scholarships are open to LHS students only, so competition is much lower than compared to national, private scholarships. Take a look at the Local Scholarships Overview for a snapshot of the different scholarships offered last year.
- Alanna Nagi Memorial
- American Legion Beckwith
- Britt Perrotta Sommerfield Memorial
- Highland-White Lake Business Association
- Huron Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Huron Valley Education Association
- Huron Valley Schools Leadership Team
- Kathy A. Janssen Foundation
- L.H.S. Athletic Booster Club
- L.H.S. Holiday Hope For Kids
- L.H.S. Parent Council
- L.H.S. Student Activities
- Milford Garden Club
- Milford-Huron Valley Lions Club
- Oxbow Elementary Alumni
- Shannon Gaber Memorial
- Suburban League
- W.B.K. Cramer Memorial
- Zonta Club of Milford
Follow these links to learn about more scholarship opportunities!
Certa Law Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Scholarship : This $1,000 scholarship is sponsored by Certa Law Group. This scholarship is an award for any current or soon-to-be undergrad who have had their life altered due to a bodily injury from an automotive or pedestrian accident, be it their own injury, that of a loved one, or an influential individual. Deadline to apply is December 15, 2020. Follow the link to apply!
Toyota TeenDrive365 Video Challenge : This $15,000 scholarship is sponsored by Toyota. Applicants will create and submit a 30-60 second video that inspires their peers to drive safely. Deadline to apply is February 26, 2021. Follow the link to apply!
Central Michigan University's Leader Advancement Scholarship : This $8,000 scholarship ($2,000 per academic year) is awarded each year to outstanding high school seniors who have distinguished themselves through a record of leadership and service. Deadline to apply is January 1, 2021. Follow the link for more information and to apply!
Lloyd F. Hutt Scholarship : This $2,000 scholarship is awarded each year to graduating high school seniors who plan to enter a trade school, college, or university in the next academic year. Deadline to apply is January 31, 2021. Follow the link for more information and to apply!
- El Dabe Ritter Scholarship : This $1,500 scholarship, sponsored by El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers in California, is available to high school seniors who are pursuing higher education in the United States. Applicants must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. Deadline to apply is June 30, 2021. Follow the link to apply!
Senior Scholarship Email Group : Make sure you are checking your email regularly! Remember that email address you gave to the Counseling Office at the start of the year? As soon as we receive scholarship information, we send it out directly to seniors. Check the email to see if you might be a qualified applicant. If you're a senior or senior parent who hasn't given your email address to the Counseling Office, make sure you do if you would like all of the current scholarship awards available.
William Carls College Scholarship Awards Program (Carls Scholar) : This $4,000, renewable award is open to Lakeland seniors who have been admitted to an engineering school at any of the public universities in the State of Michigan.
- Academic Requirements: 3.8 G.P.A., an S.A.T. score of 1220, and superior academic record in math and science courses.
- Lakeland High School will identify potential candidates and those students will be mailed information on the application process. Please contact the Counseling Office if you have any questions about eligibility requirements.
Girls and Boys State : Each year, Lakeland selects at least one male and at least one female representative to attend Boys State and Girls State. High school students from across the state are selected to participate in this unique government simulation experience during a week in the summer at a Michigan university. This opportunity is open for Lakeland junior students only. To be considered for Boys or Girls State, please see Mr. Farmer.
State of Michigan and Federal Government Financial Aid Sties
- F.A.F.S.A. (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- U.S. Department of Education - http://www.ed.gov/
- Michigan Department of Education - www.michigan.gov/mde
- State of Michigan Student Financial Aid - http://www.michigan.gov/mistudentaid
- Guide to Federal Student Aid : A comprehensive guide to federal student aid. Everything you need to know about grants, loans, and the FAFSA can be found here. **Please note that you may fill out the FAFSA beginning on October 1st now.**
- Financial Aid Path - http://www.financialaidpath.com/
- Don't Get Scammed! : Published by the federal government. Tips for avoiding financial aid scams.
Financial Aid Information and Scholarship Search Sites
- National Association of Student Aid Administrators - http://www.nasfaa.org/
- Financial Aid Information Page - http://www.finaid.org/
- Financial Aid Eligibility Estimator - www.finaid.org/finaid/calculators/estimate.html
- "MI-Search" Scholarship Search Program - www.michigan.gov/mistudentaid
- Fastweb Scholarship Database - http://www.fastweb.com/
- Cappex Scholarship Database - http://www.cappex.com/
- Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan- https://cfsem.org/scholarships/scholarship-opportunities/
- We are the Independents - https://wearetheindependents.com/win-a-scholarship/
- More Michigan Scholarships : This link to www.conqueryourexam.com includes information about many scholarships available to students pursuing higher education in Michigan.
Financial Aid Night : Financial Aid Night is held in September each year at either Lakeland or Milford High School. The night is led by special guest presenter Greg Little, Director of Financial Aid Compliance and Training at Baker College.