Kindergarten is an all day every day program offered at each Huron Valley Schools elementary building for the traditional school calendar.
Huron Valley Schools is now enrolling kindergarten students for the 2021-22 school year. Below is information regarding kindergarten programming options. More information on the enrollment process can be found on our 'Online Student Enrollment' page. Out-of-district Schools of Choice students are welcome, space permitting. More Information can be found on our 'Schools of Choice' page.
Virtual JK Informational Meeting - March 3
Junior Kindergarten Informational Meeting
We will host a virtual Junior Kindergarten Informational Meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 3. Join us to learn more about the program.
Virtual Kindergarten Orientation - March 18
To get your child off to a smooth start, we offer kindergarten orientation events where parents can learn more about our programs. Follow the links below to join us virtually at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, March 18 to meet your school's principal and staff.
Kindergarten Entry Age Information
According to Michigan Law, if a child residing in Huron Valley School District is 5 years of age on or before September 1, the parent or legal guardian of that child may enroll the child in Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten. If a child is 5 years of age on or after September 2 but will be 5 years of age on or before December 1, the parent or legal guardian of that child may enroll the child in Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten for the school year if the parent or legal guardian fills out the Kindergarten Age Waiver.
Note: A school district that receives this waiver may make a recommendation to the parent or legal guardian of a child described in this subsection that the child is not ready to enroll in kindergarten due to the child's age or other factors. The parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to determine whether or not to enroll the child in kindergarten if the student is 5 years of age not later than December 1.
2021-2022 Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten additional forms:
Kindergarten Virtual Orientation 6:30 PM to 8:00 PMKindergarten Virtual OrientationDate: Mar 18Time: 6:30 PM to 8:00 PMLocation: VirtualCalendar: JK-Kindergarten Orientation
Many parents ask what their child needs to know before Kindergarten. It is really a combination of skills, behaviors and attitudes that determine each child's readiness for Kindergarten. The following list includes some of the traits that are important for a successful transition to Kindergarten.
1. Respects people and materials. (Ready to follow rules, attempts to solve simple problems independently, willing to cooperate.)
2. Independently takes care of personal needs. (Dresses self, uses bathroom independently, cleans up after self, uses tissues and asks for help when necessary.)
3. Recognizes own name in print. (Identifies name on mailbox and locker.)
4. Uses scissors, glue, markers, pencils and crayons appropriately. (Holds scissors comfortably, writes name legibly, draws recognizable shapes and figures.)
5. Follows simple directions. (Listens and remembers what he or she is asked to do independently.)
6. Takes turns. (Shares toys and materials, able to wait to share thoughts, or receive individual help or attention.)
7. Respects personal space. (Keeps hands and legs to self when sitting in a group. Understands when and how to appropriately make physical contact with others.)
8. Uses books on a regular basis. (Enjoys stories, listens without being distracted, wants to read or be read to, is familiar with some nursery rhymes, rhyming songs and books.)
Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten?
What is the best placement for my child? Huron Valley Schools understands the need to provide choices for families making decisions about the best fit for their Kindergarten eligible child. Making thoughtful decisions about placement helps ensure a successful school experience and a strong foundation from which to grow. Please refer to the flow chart below:
For more information on Junior Kindergarten please visit our 'Junior Kindergarten' page.