Early Childhood's homebase is the Apollo Center - hosting Preschool Classes, Infant & Toddler Childcare, and Federal Early Childhood programs.
Age-appropriate playground equipment is located at the Apollo Center for early childhood students. This playground is open to the public on nights and weekends, too!
Arts education is a vital component of the Preschool Program offered via Huron Valley Recreation & Community Education!
Year-round child care is offered for infants and toddlers at the Apollo Center.
School based early childhood programs are a vital component in preparing children to learn.
Working alongside district teachers and assistants, principals and support specialists, we provide a wealth of developmentally appropriate opportunities for every student.
Huron Valley Recreation & Community Education offers several programs to expand your child's learning:
• Year-round, full-day child care for infants to 5 year olds
• Fee-based preschool for 3 and 4 year old students
• Early intervention for students birth through 3 years of age
• Head Start and Title 1 preschool for 3 to 5 year olds
• School Readiness for 4 year old students
• Play and Learn (PAL) for students ages 3 to 5 years with special needs
This opportunity allows preschool teachers and para-professionals to collaborate and work side by side not, only with each other, but with other early childhood professionals such as district kindergarten teachers and the staff of Oakland Schools. We also have Therapists who specialize in speech and language, occupational therapy, and physical therapy. In addition, there is a social worker for students who need additional support.
From visits by dentists, firefighters and the Huron Valley Council for the Arts to celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday, we enrich students' school experiences by exposing them to activities outside the traditional classroom. Our common goal regardless of program is for each child to find their first school experiences fun and exciting. By engaging young children in active learning, we hope to inspire them to be constant lifelong learners.
In addition to Apollo Center, the Early Childhood Department of Huron Valley Recreation and Community Education offers several other programs to expand your child's learning:
• 3 and 4 year old preschool classes at Kurtz Elementary in Milford
• 3 and 4 year old preschool classes at Brooks Elementary in White Lake
• Before and after school child care in all elementary buildings;
• Summer Experience day camp
• Summer Experience-The Outdoor Adventure held at Proud Lake State Recreation Area
• Community Education Preschool and Summer camps: 248.676.8496
• Apollo Center Child Care: 248.684.8245
• Early Intervention and PAL: 248.684.8019
• Head Start, Title 1 and School Readiness: 248.684.8276
‘Your Child's First Exploration into Education.'
Apollo Center offers child care for students 6 weeks through 5 years of age. Our program provides a developmentally appropriate learning environment where children participate in movement & music, language & literacy activities, arts & crafts and science & math explorations.
For more program information and to schedule a visit, contact Gwen Fannon, Early Childhood Programmer at 248-684-8245 or Gwen.Fannon@HVS.org
Our Preschool classes follow the state of Michigan Pre-Kindergarten Standards. In addition, our staff work with Huron Valley Kindergarten teachers to ensure our classroom instruction aligns with their curriculum goals.
3 year old classes are for children who will turn 3 by November 1, 2013; 4 year old classes are for children who will turn 4 by November 1, 2013.
School Age Care is an extended day child care program for kindergarten through 5th grade students conveniently located at each elementary building.
Summer Experience is a full day camp that provides academic adventures, weekly field trips, arts & crafts, group activities and more for students that have completed kindergarten through 12 years of age.
Outdoor Adventure is a full day camp that provides opportunities to swim, canoe, hike, bike, fish and more for students that have completed kindergarten through 12 years of age.
Lynn McKim, Supervisor (248) 676-8458
Michelle Meek, Secretary