The School Board of Education
The School Board consists of seven elected citizens, who act as representatives for the local voting community. The Board acts under the jurisdiction of state laws and regulations.
Responsibilities of the Board
The general responsibilities of the Board of Education are to:
- Represent the voting public in making decisions regarding schools, school policies and education, etc.
- Help establish the goals and objectives of the District's educational program.
- Assist the administration with improving and enhancing the quality of education offered by the District.
- Keep the public well informed about the District's educational program.
- Represent the District in statewide efforts to promote public education.
Our School Board Policies are located on the left hand side of this page under 'Board of Education'.
Board of Education - Upcoming Events
Regular Board of Education MeetingBoard of EducationFeb 8Milford High School7:00 PM
***1/2 Day for Students***/Teacher Professional DevelopmentBoard of EducationFeb 12
15 Febthru Feb 16
***No School for Students***/Mid-Winter BreakBoard of EducationFeb 15 - Feb 16
Board Meeting Agenda's 2015-16
Board Members & Contact Information
Huron Valley School Board Members 2015-16
Lindsay Cotter - President
Ms. Cotter resides in Milford Ms. Cotter was appointed to the Board in December 2009 and re-elected in November 2010 and 2014.
Bonnie Brown – Vice President
Ms. Brown resides in Milford Ms. Brown was appointed to the Board in December 2010 and re-elected in November 2011.
Jeff Long - Treasurer
Mr. Long resides in White Lake Mr. Long was elected to the Board in November 2011 and is serving his first term.
Beth Lewis - Secretary
Ms. Lewis resides in Highland Ms. Lewis was elected to the Board in November 2012 and is serving her first term.
Lisa Blackwell - Trustee
Ms. Blackwell resides in White Lake Ms. Blackwell was elected to the Board in 2004 and re-elected in November 2008 and November 2012.
Sean Carlson - Trustee
Mr. Carlson resides in Commerce Mr. Carlson was elected to the Board in 2008 to complete a term and was re-elected in November 2009 and 2014.
Rebecca Walsh - Trustee
Ms. Walsh resides in White Lake Ms. Walsh was elected to the Board in November 2009 and re-elected in 2014.
Board Meeting Calendar
Below is a link to the 2015-16 Board Meeting Calendar. Upcoming events are also on this page and on our district calendar.
Board Meeting Minutes
Meeting Minutes 2015-16
2014-2015 District Goals
Superintendent Focus Goals
1. Develop an annual systemic plan for the collection of data to anchor the desire to become a transparent and Data Driven District. Key data points/reports, from all departments, will be identified and collected on an annual basis. Provide a report to the full Board by the March, 2015, retreat.
2. Complete the review and update of the Board Policy & Procedures process. Present to the full Board by June 1, 2015.
3. Establish an Athletics & Arts Commission to review current programs and processes. Present to the full Board by May 4, 2015.
4. Assist the Board to develop a Board of Education Goals process and Code of Conduct. Present to the full Board by the March, 2015, retreat.
5. Implement the Marketing / Rebranding promotion plan for the Huron Valley School District. Present the implementation time line to the full Board by October 20, 2014.
6. Identify at least 8 strategies, across all areas and departments, which may lead to quality and structural changes within our school district to continue to preserve the financial security of the HVS. Present to the full Board by May 4, 2015
Department of Learning Services Goals
1. Increase student achievement as measured by multiple metrics.
2. Develop systems and implement programming to enhance student achievement.
3. Improve 4, 5, and 6 year cohort high school graduation rates.
4. Improve K-12 programming through the enhancement of a Cultures of Thinking Program that includes Phase II training for the initial five schools, eight days of training for five new schools, continued training for the administrative instructional team and the development and implementation of action plans for participating schools.
5. Implement a CONNECT100 Plan that includes the establishment of consistent identification criteria for non-connected students at the elementary, middle and high school levels, the development of an intervention process for identified non-connected students, the enhancement of the data collection process and increased consistency in proactive programming.
6. Enhance parent outreach systems through the establishment and implementation of standards for high school ELA educator electronic websites based on input from key stakeholders that includes a personal profiles, a course syllabus template, classroom expectations, parental feedback process and links to resources such as Rubicon Atlas and Family Access.
Finance and Auxiliary Goals
1. Develop strategies to maximize and/or actively pursue revenue based on State funding/legislative initiatives and/or available grant opportunities and continue to seek partnerships and/or collaboration with various organizations.
2. Identify General Fund budget strategies to reduce costs, maximize purchases, and/or maximize revenue, which also includes programs related to energy management.
3. Identify Special Revenue (which includes capital projects, community services, debt service and food service) budget strategies to reduce costs, maximize purchases, and/or maximize revenue.
4. Develop informational and/or financial materials, coordinate and/or make informational presentations to various stakeholders related to the improvement of District wide facilities.
1. Support an instructional technology (IT) data utilization program that provides teachers,
principals and parents easy access to critical information for the purpose of differentiating student learning. The program includes guidance and strategies to improve learning for all students.
2. Enhance instruction through technology integration and 21st Century Skills at all levels, with an emphasis at the middle school level, which improves student learning and engagement.
3. Provide robust and reliable resources to support the learning needs of the staff, students and the community.
Standing Board Committees
2015/2016 Standing Board Committees
Lindsay Cotter, Chair
Jim Baker, Liaison
Beth Lewis, Alternate
Academics, Athletics & Arts
Sean Carlson, Chair
Ed Okuniewski, Liaison
Bonnie Brown, Alternate
Finance & Auxiliary
Jeff Long, Chair
Donna Welch, Liaison
Sean Carlson, Alternate
Bonnie Brown, Chair
John Tavernier, Liaison
Jeff Long, Alternate
Board of Education Board Principles Ad Hoc Committee
Lisa Blackwell, Chair
Jim Baker, Liaison